Correct way to move kvm vm
I have a problem to do live migration between two host computers via virt manager. It is a permission issue but I don’t have time to fig it out. It is not a big deal. It is ok to move KVM vms offline.
- stop VM from gui or cli or guest console
- dump guest configuration as xml
virsh dumpxml VMNAME > domxml.xml
- copy the guest images to another server with same path
- define a VM from the dump xml file
virsh define domxml.xml
- Check the configuration and start VM on new host. Usually need to check the network configuration, CPU, and memory.
Written on March 13, 2017