McAfee Installation Process Hung
When I installed McAfee Antivirus Enterprise v8.8 on a Windows 8.1, it was hung. Checked the log @ c:\users$user\AppData\Local\Temp\McAfeeLogs and found a messge “Waiting on McShield to report RUNNING or STOPPED (current state 2)” in installation log.
Create the Start DWORD value for each of the required McAfee processes:
This article contains information about opening or modifying the registry.
- The following information is intended for System Administrators. Registry modifications are irreversible and could cause system failure if done incorrectly.
- Before proceeding, Technical Support strongly recommends backing up your registry and understanding the restore process. For more information, see: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/256986
- Do not run a .REG file that is not confirmed to be a genuine registry import file.
- Press Windows+R, type regedit, and click OK.
- Navigate to the following registry key:
- For each of the following sub keys, verify the Start value exists within the key, and contains the data shown:
- If there is no Start value, right-click a blank space, select New, DWORD value, and name it Start.
- Right-click the new Start value, select Modify, and ensure that the Value data is set to the appropriate number shown in step 3.
- Restart the system